Nostalgia

Nostalgia
Nostalgia

Monday, January 9, 2012

"The Property"

Three houses sold within the last couple months. There are two pending sales right now so I'm  happy about that. There's still more on my books but I quit slacking and have them listed and up for sale. Hopefully my agent will get all of them off my books before spring. I quit purchasing POS to transform because I'm out of time. It was something I wanted to try because I was feeling restless and needed a new creative outlet. It was a lot of work and took longer than what I had scheduled. The crew and I had a lot of fun and what a transformation those places went through. Looking at those places now you would never know they used to be a piece of crap that almost could have been bulldozed. I'm not a girl that is afraid to get dirty. As long as it isn't nasty. I draw the line at poo and other gross stuff. Oh yeah and nothing smelly. My senses must agree. If it don't look right, if it don't smell right, if it don't sound right, I can guarantee I won't touch it and I'm sure the hell not tasting it either. HA... I have no problem throwing my hair in a pony, and getting dirty.

  

In April of 2011 I bought this old house with a guest house that sat by itself on 8 acres out on the peninsula of a huge lake. I had the old house and the guest house bulldozed and removed right away. The property sat alone with nothing on it for several months. I was busy with the rehab of the farm house and didn't have a vision yet of what I wanted to build. It was a beautiful piece of property. When I sat there it felt so peaceful and right. Then in August it came to me. Inspiration at it's finest. It's a unique, exclusicve architectural style. A blending of French, European, Luxury Chateau, Neoclassical , & Mediterranean architectural styles all put together which forms my dream home. I sat down at the computer and started drawing up the blue prints. A week later, I took it to my architect to go over my work and make sure the numbers and everything else was right. A few weeks after that my crew starting building. I took my time with that house. I hand picked every piece of marble and granite, every everything. I designed everything. It's a plush world of luxury within. The 23' ceiling in the foyer welcomes you as the beautiful double curved staircase cascades into the foyer accentuating the openness. To the right is the living room with its 23' coffered ceiling, fire place and media room with alcoves and storage. To the left of the foyer is the dining room and library/study. Both with fireplaces. The arcade leads to the kitchen, or through the rotunda to the gallery, utility room and garage. On the other side of the house, passing through the arcade and rotunda leads to the exercise room. This area of the house also has a guest suite with another fireplace and full bathroom. The living room is open to the breakfast room and kitchen, and central to all rooms on the first floor. Behind the living room is the terrace, and off the breakfast area is a patio. There's also a butler's pantry which is enhanced by a walk in wine cellar/storage. The second story showcases the master suite (where the magic happens) including the barrel vaulted master bath, balcony, and wardrobe. The second floor has four additional bedrooms with baths and private balconies. A den and music room complete the floor plan. It was designed, and wired for top quality surround sound from top to bottom. A piece of my soul is in that house. I wanted to stay there and never leave. Because it sits on the peninsula no matter where you are in that house you get a great view of the lake. Classic, timeless, unique, regal, luxurious, beautiful and elegant. My vision encompasses all of thee characteristics and more. That house is truly one of a kind. So beautiful I wanted to live in him forever. It was very hard for me to let it go. I was in tears signing the papers. I didn't think I could ever get that attached to a house. I haven't been right since. How does one get so attached to a house they've never even lived in? It's a house for christ sakes. Thinking about it makes me very sad though. I want to think about something else.....




Maybe I should just continue so that I can get it out then I can move on. I did say I would deal with issues as they come. It is so hard to let go, but I did. Physically anyway. I let it go and sold the property on the fifth day of this new year for a whopping 2.6 million. Of course that's not all profit. I still had to pay for the property, the removal of the old houses, the crew that built it, all the materials to build it, the listing fees, and the agent that sold it, and of course Uncle Sam must have his cut along with the permit fees ect... you get the picture. I made a good profit but the money doesn't make the hurt go away. I got the property on foreclosure so I didn't pay anywhere near what it was worth. I don't know what I'd do with such a huge house anyway. 6,880 sq feet of beautiful. The taxes alone per year for that property is ungodly. In order to keep him I'd have to sell the Lake Michigan house and the log cabin in Colorado. Hell, I'd have to sell everything I own. Some of you may notice I now call it "the property". He used to have a name but he's no longer mine so now it goes unnamed. My way of trying to detach myself and my emotions from "the property". I sold the property to a surgeon and his family. He and his wife fell in love as soon as they walked in the door. And why wouldn't they? My soul is in that house....

In my heart lies a secret garden
bearing flowers of sweet perfume
A rippling oasis of colour
that's perpetually in bloom

I wander through it's beauty
pockets of sunshine here and there
Dappled light upon lush growth
which I tend with loving care

A mighty wall surrounds it
harbouring a gate of iron bars
Built long since to keep it safe
and to save it many scars

Yet my garden is so lonley
without another near
The very walls protecting it
keep me prisoner here

This chamber once was barren
A world I never knew
until I journeyed to it
nurturing gently 'til it grew

And now my garden's flourishing
there's more than enough to share
Plant's are climbing over walls
crack's starting to appear

I draw in my breath and approach the gate
touch familiar rusty bars
fumbling I catch hold of the latch
and pull the gate ajar

A creek, a groan, then it swings wide
I stare at this new view
I rub my eyes in disbelief
out here there's beauty too!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment